Monday, May 30, 2011

My Grandpa Is My Hero...


Today, as I was driving home after restocking one of my jewelry cases, I heard the most touching story on NPR radio. I absolutely love NPR radio, because I try to stay enlightened on all of our wordly issues and plus it makes me feel smart when I listen to it. (heehee). But anyway, while I was listening today, I heard a British man telling the story of his father, World War II, and what Memorial Day had meant to him. He had said that during the war his father, a British soldier, had been captured in Europe by the enemy and had become a prisoner of war for several years. That is, until American troops had set foot in Europe and freed him from captivity. He said his father had always felt liberated by our American soldiers and that Memorial Day had always been a very special day for him too. I was so moved upon hearing this, became a little teary-eyed and immediately thought of my grandpa. That's him in the picture above, he was not a fighter-pilot, kamikaze war hero or anything extreme like that, but he did serve our great country for years and he is the hero of my family. Last year about this time, I made this in his honor...


...I called this necklace, "My Grandpa Is My Hero", and to this day it still holds a special place in my heart, right next to the man it was inspired by, my Grandpa!


So this Memorial Day I salute him, all of our fallen heros and the ones still serving today...


...THANK YOU, for keeping us free!!!

Happy Memorial Day!

2 comments:

Glenda/MidSouth said...

What a nice tribute to your Grandfather.
Hope you had a great weekend.

Unknown said...

Wonderful tribute.
Lovely necklace.

Have a great day!

"Lin"